The Murderer's Ape by Jakob Wegelius (Translated by Peter Graves): a review


I believe I found this book from Leena Norms’ YouTube channel, and reserved put it on my “to be read” list, hoping to find it at the library soon after. Not too long ago, I put it on reserve to make sure I got to read it before the end of the year. It might not be a Christmassy or Wintery read, but there is something about it that feels right to read at this time of year. Perhaps that’s simply because it’s aimed at young readers.

            The Murderer’s Ape by Jakob Wegelius (translated by Peter Graves) is an adventure book that serves as an almost memoir of Sally Jones, a remarkable gorilla who worked as an engineer on the Hudson Queen. When the captain of that ship is framed for murder, she does everything in her power to prove the innocence of the man known as The Chief.

            If you read and enjoyed Jonas Jonasson’s The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared then you will love this book. I’m not sure what it is about the two that hold a similar feeling for me, but it feels like there’s something shared between them. It’s an adventure, but rarely does it feel overstated or wholly unrealistic. Yes, I’m aware there’s an anthropomorphic gorilla as a protagonist, but I just mean that the plot itself feels grounded enough that you never feel like it’s trying to do too much.

            Don’t be put off by this being for younger readers. I believe it’s meant for middle-grade, but frankly this is great for a wide range of readers. This is great for the intended audience and adults alike. In fact, I feel like this would be a great book to sit and read a bit at a time as a bed time story to really young readers as well because the stakes are high enough to keep people intrigued but there isn’t anything too rough for youngsters.

            The pacing is incredible. It manages to be fast-paced, but not feel like it’s dragging by the time you get to the end. It is quite a long book, but don’t let that put you off because it’s really easy to make your way through. I often struggle to read long books, but managed to read this in about a week or two.

            I need to get myself a copy of this for myself as it’s a genuinely incredible book. I had so much fun reading it. I would have loved this so much when I was younger and feel no qualms about loving it as an adult. If you’re looking for a new adventure, then this is the place to go. I found it at Burnley Library, but I will say that I had to reserve it, and I know that it’s on reservation as soon as I return it. I imagine that if you want to borrow it from the library, a reservation is in order, but it’s so worth it.

Comments