Fun Home A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel: a review


I’ve been on somewhat of a run with graphic novels recently. As much as anything, I can read them much quicker than with prose. It’s not just that; I do genuinely enjoy the experience. Who doesn’t love good stories side by side with some banging art?

            Fun Home A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel is a memoir of her time growing up, learning of her own and her father’s sexuality, along with coping with the loss of her father.

            I love the watercolour and ink look of the art in this. Were it colourful, it might almost be serene, but the monotone nature really fits the mood perfectly. There’s something of muddy water about the whole thing, and I love that.

            It feels a little strange to review a memoir to be honest. I’m used to reviewing fiction, discussing plot twists and character development. However, I can’t really do that here because that wouldn’t exactly be very tactful. What I will say is that this was incredibly compelling throughout, and the way Bechdel recounts her life is breath-taking.

            I particularly enjoy the non-linear was Bechdel tells her story. It feels like a more natural way to recall one’s life rather than simply going from A to B.

            I’m really glad I picked this up. This was a beautiful piece. I don’t know that I’ll read this again, as this wasn’t always the easiest read, but I can definitely recommend this. It can be found at Burnley Library.

Comments