The Promise by Lucy Diamond


Lucy Diamond is one of those authors where I will simply read whatever book of hers I happen upon, whether that be in a book store or library. I just find her work to be really comforting, even when she’s covering darker subjects. When I heard that she was releasing a new novel earlier this year, I knew I had to get my hands on it as soon as I could, even if it has taken me a little while to actually read it. Though, that’s nothing new for me.

            The Promise by Lucy Diamond follows the fallout after the death of Patrick Sheppard. His widow, Zoe, is trying to cope with grief while taking care of their kids, and his brother, Dan has taken it upon himself to try to fill the space that Patrick has left behind. While doing this, he uncovers a version of his brother he never thought to find, but is this a secret he should keep to himself?

            This is a really tough read at times, which is unsurprising given the subject matter. Diamond really taps into the grieving process and all the ways it can manifest in different people. Zoe in particular was someone that, while reading about her, pushed me to tears. She has some genuinely awful moments where she acts out, and while it isn’t the right thing to do, you do get it. She’s got a million things on her plate, and it isn’t surprising when things tip her over the edge. Diamond really shows how grief can show both the very best and worst of people.

            There are some ridiculously funny moments though. When Dan is trying to figure out what he can do as a day out with his 9-year-old nephew, he takes him skateboarding, though, not before searching “fun things to do with your nephew” which got me so good. There’s this pregnant pause as Gabe, the nephew, looks up at Dan, hope and wonder in his eyes, hoping that his uncle will also skateboard alongside him. The two of them looking at each other where Dan just knows that if he says “no” then his nephew will be disappointed, but if he says “yes” then he’s almost guaranteed to make a fool of himself. It’s rare that comedy timing like that plays out so well on a page as it might in a visual or audio medium, but Diamond just gets it right so well.

            There was this line at the end that really struck me. It isn’t always about big moments when you’re recovering, and the little moments all add up:

Okay, so it wasn’t exactly a pompom-shaking, wholehearted WOO-YEAH about the world, more a determined gritting of teeth, a squaring of shoulders that made her feel as if she could cope. That she would cope. This too was progress.

            As I did with The Year of Taking Chances, I felt so close to these characters, and I really didn’t want to leave their lives behind. I want a Rosemary in my life, and I want to see how they get on after its all over. It’s not that I’m not fulfilled by what I’ve read. I’m not left wanting more because there’s anything missing, but rather because Diamond creates a world which I never want to leave.

Now, in theory, I would read this again, but I know what I’m like for reading longer books more than once. Perhaps if I get the audiobook at some point. However, I can wholeheartedly recommend this to you. It’s  truly beautiful book, and I know I’ll be on the look out for more of Lucy Diamond’s work in the future.

Comments