A Man & His Cat 2 and 3 by Umi Sakurai: Double Feature



Here we are with another double feature! I won’t keep you too long, as I am aware that, if you haven’t yet read book one (which I do urge you to) then you aren’t all that likely to read later books in the series. Though, I do feel you may be able to enjoy these books on their own. You will get a better experience reading the series as a whole, but you can certainly enjoy these books individually.

            A Man & His Cat 2 and A Man & His Cat 3 by Umi Sakurai are the continued adventures of Mr Kanda and his wonderful little cat, Fukumaru. These books see a little more into their pasts as well as their current lives together.

            As I did with the first part, I spent much of my time just crying my eyes out. That isn’t to say these books are sad, though there are some sad moments scattered throughout. It’s just that they’re incredibly emotional in a whole variety of ways. Most of the time I’m crying because Fukumaru is realising that he is loved, and that isn’t going to change.

            There’s just so much joy to be found in the pages of these books. The bond between Mr Kanda and Fukumaru is something that is just so beautiful, and watching as they elevate each other to become the best versions of themselves warms my heart. Fukumaru remains mischievous, but he realises that he is worthy of adoration. He and Mr Kanda are made for each other.

            I loved slowly learning the past of both cat and owner. The snippets of their lives before they became intertwined are interspersed brilliantly throughout the present-day story. I love seeing the world that Umi Sakurai has built growing and becoming more and more fleshed-out. 

            I believe book four is coming out in September in the UK, and I'm sure I'll be on that soon after release. I say that, but we all know what I'm like for not entirely being on time. As with the first book, these two are available at Burnley Library

Comments