When I Arrived at the Castle by Emily Carroll: a review


Did I, once again, pick up a graphic novel without checking what it was about because the art looked cool? 100% and I do not regret it one bit. Sometimes you do have to judge a book by its cover because beneath there may well be treasures.

            CW: blood, violence, nudity

            When I Arrived at the Castle by Emily Carroll sees a hunter make her way to the Countess’ abode, determined to vanquish her. She believed herself prepared, but this couldn’t be further from the truth.

            I cannot get enough of the artwork used in this book. The use of so little colour bringing what colour there is to the foreground is beautiful. I’ve always loved the way artists use black and white, and the way it is used here is truly unforgettable.

            I also just adore the way fairy tales are interwoven with this. It really does feel like if Little Red Riding Hood and Dracula merged to form a stunning piece of horror. It’s everything you could want and more.

            I can, without a doubt, recommend this book. I’ll be sure to read it again in the future. This is available from Burnley Library if you’re local to the area.

Comments