Chu Volume One: The First Course by John Layman and Dan Boultwood: a review


Get ready for a bit of an influx of graphic novel reviews because I headed to my local library recently and I got a bit carried away. I was only supposed to be going in for some theory texts, but the joy of being able to go back to the library again meant that I just couldn’t help myself. So, for a little while we’re going to be reviewing those (new reviews will be out every Tuesday and Thursday).

CW: violence, blood, domestic abuse

            Chu by John Layman and Dan Boultwood follows Tony Chu and his sister, Saffron. They have psychic abilities related to eating food. One is a cop, the other a criminal, and their paths are about to cross in ways neither of them saw coming.

            I am absolutely in love with the art style in this book. To me, it’s kind of reminiscent of the style used for The Gorillaz. It’s really sharp and dynamic, and I’ll certainly be looking for more work from these two for that alone.

            The use of repetition is really interesting. At first, I thought it might just be a remnant of this book’s serial origins, but it happens within chapters a lot more later on which let me know just how intentional it is. I think the use of repetition might be my favourite aspect of the storytelling in this book because it is used so expertly. It’s repetition but not repetitive.

             I’ll certainly be seeking out later volumes once they’re out. I do believe this is the only book in the Chu series so far. I absolutely recommend finding yourself a copy (at the very least there’s one in Burnley Library) because this is absolutely fantastic.

 

Don't forget about the Books With a Bad Reputation wishlist if you enjoy me suffering through bad lit: https://www.amazon.co.uk/hz/wishlist/ls/33XX7MWZ3PD7A?ref_=wl_share

Comments