Country Dance by Margiad Evans: a review


Another class book, I know, but there are only two left, and they’re poetry, so that’s a little break from the prose. After that, I’ll actually start doing my shelf read through that I mentioned in my last review.

            Country Dance by Margiad Evans follows Ann Goodman via her diary. She’s gained the attention of Englishman, Gabriel Ford, and her father’s master, the Welshman, Evan ap Evans. However, we learn that neither men are particularly palatable, and it his Ann’s rejection of both men that kickstarts a story of tragedy, passion, and violence. 

CW: sexual harassment/assault 

            I really enjoyed this slice of life story; it has all the aspects that I do like from novels like The Last September, but has the benefits of not being about upper-class people. It’s more grounded in reality, and I personally find it far more enjoyable reading about people whose problems feel more genuine. It’s not to say that the upper classes don’t have real problems, but it can be more difficult to care when their biggest issues seem to be garden parties and tennis tournaments. The tragedies of Country Dance hit so much harder because it’s far easier to relate to working-class people.

            I found this book really easy to read. The e-book was somewhere between 100 and 150 pages, and Evans actually made this book feel like a diary, whereas many books I’ve read that claim to be diary entries often feel too drawn out; there’s a little too much packed in there for it to feel real (I’m looking at you Dracula). This actually felt like someone jotting down their thoughts for the day. It isn’t like notes, but as someone who struggles to read long passages, the fast pace really kept me engaged throughout.

            I really enjoyed this book, and while I can’t say I’m certain to read it again, I wouldn’t be surprised if one day I find myself reading all about Ann Goodman. If you’ve always wanted to read books like Pride and Prejudice, but got put off by the language and the upper-class nonsense, I can definitely recommend Country Dance.

            Just popping up at the end here to remind you that, if you’ve enjoyed any of my reviews of books with a bad reputation, I have a wish-list that you can check out if you enjoy seeing me suffer:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/hz/wishlist/ls/33XX7MWZ3PD7A?ref_=wl_share

Comments