2020: a year in reviews



2020 has been a year. It has happened. I certainly thought being isolated would push me to read far more books, but it turns out the opposite was the case. I’ve read a couple more books that haven’t been reviewed. They’ve been class books, and I was intending to write reviews on a couple of them, but once again, 2020 has been a year. So, including the books that went unreviewed, here’s my 2020 reads (a few of which I looked at and went “I read that this year?”):

  1.  Chickenfeed by Minette Walters
  2. Iron Maiden: Legacy of the Beast by Llexi Leon, Ian Edgington, Kevin West (and more)
  3. Paga by Maria Apichella
  4. Everything You Ever Wanted by Luiza Sauma
  5. Lumberjanes: Beware the Kitten Holy by Shannon Watters, Grace Ellis, Noelle Stevenson, and Brooklyn Allen
  6. Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh
  7. This is Why I Hate You by Greg ‘Onision’ Jackson
  8. Doggolescence by Kyra the Staffy (and also Rachel Oates)
  9. Out of Love by Hazel Hayes
  10. Psycho by Robert Bloch
  11. The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon (unreviewed)
  12. Lost in the Funhouse by John Barth (unreviewed)
  13. Neuromancer by William Gibson (unreviewed)
  14. Mao II by Don DeLillo (unreviewed)
  15. The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster (unreviewed)
  16. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer (unreviewed)
  17. Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace (unreviewed, and be glad because there would be no way to review this in a concise way.)

 

So, at the point where I realised that the 50-book challenge had gone out the window, I aimed at 20-25. I’d say 17 is close enough, and there’s a fair whack of short stories that I read in the first half of the year. I think I’ve done alright here. I will be aiming for 50 again next year, and I do think I can do it, but it’s not the end of the world if I don’t.

 

Top 10 of 2020



       10. Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace

Look, I wish this wasn’t here, but I spent two damn months reading this thing, so it’s in my head. It is, as the kids say, living in my head rent free. Look, I did enjoy this book more than I thought, but that does not mean that I’m happy that I read it. If I went my whole life having never read this book, I’d be fine, but here we are. Footnotes are fine, but they shouldn’t span over pages and pages and pages and pages and… I’m fine. I was entertained throughout, and I was entertained where I was supposed to be (not like our dishonourable mention that’ll pop up later). It’s not a book I can wholeheartedly recommend, unless you have a lot of time. I still can’t fully figure out how I feel about this book, but it is stuck in my head, so here it is in my top 10.

 


        9. Iron Maiden: Legacy of the Beast by Llexi Leon, Ian Edgington, Kevin West (and more)

This was one of the books that I went “I read that this year?” at. It feels so long ago. However, I do remember really enjoying it, and I recently pre-ordered the second part to the series. I mean, I didn’t get to see Iron Maiden live this year, so at least I got some Maiden content, right? Right? I loved all the references, and I remember that the story stood well on its own. It was an Iron Maiden product that I’m sure could be enjoyed by plenty of others.

 

         
 
        8. Neuromancer by William Gibson

This was one of the class books that I was intending to write a review on, but never got around to. This very condensed review will have to do, I suppose. I’ll get better at this next year. I had been meaning to read this long before it was taking the module that brought it back to my attention. I’m almost annoyed that I hadn’t read it sooner. I loved this book, and I’ll likely be looking at reading the rest of the trilogy. You can so clearly see the influences in other pieces of media, and it really is the father of the Cyberpunk movement.

 

            7. Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh

Another one that surprised me when I realised that I read this book in 2020. I don’t think it was even that long before lockdown that I finished this, but I still feel like it’s been an eternity since I finished this. Still, I am glad that I finally got around to reading it. I know that it was one of those that had been sitting on my shelf for a good long while before finally getting on it, and there’s no good reason for it to have been sitting there for so long. I do also remember that Tam Dean Burn’s narration on the audiobook was really good. I think I’m usually somewhat more passionate in my round-ups, but to be fair, it feels like an age since I’ve read this, and even though I know I loved it, it feels like it’s been much longer than it has since I finished the book.

I should take a look at some of the other books in the series. I know that I really enjoyed this book, and the characters were my favourite part. So, I would love to see more of them. No matter how terrible they may be, I do so love them.

 


6. Doggolescence by Kyra the Staffy (and also Rachel Oates)

This was the first (of very few) book I read in lockdown. I loved this book. The parodies worked so well. It reminded me of my own dog in a time where I couldn’t go to see him. I seriously recommend that you watch Rachel’s videos even if you don’t pick up a copy of the book. She has a real eloquence when it comes to talking about poetry, so if that’s something you’re interested in head on over to the ‘Rachel Oates’ YouTube channel.

 


            5. Paga by Maria Apichella

I don’t read enough poetry in general, but that’s certainly the case for this year. I think that’s certainly a goal for next year.

If I remember rightly, I read a lot of this on a train. I don’t remember if I was going to or from Aberystwyth, but I know that the pieces that were about her time at university really resonated with me. We’re fellow Aber graduates (though I hadn’t graduated at the time) and I feel a real connection with her via her poetry.

 

            4. Everything You Ever Wanted by Luisa Sauma

I really do miss libraries. Of all the things I want back, (especially killer, given that I found out I’m in tier four as I’m writing this) it’s libraries. I just want to browse the shelves, borrow more books than I could ever read in the allotted time, and I want to just sit and write in there. There’s such a peace to a library. Plus, I get to discover so many more authors and books than I could ever hope to, and it’s all free.

            I say all this because this was one of the last books I borrowed from my local library, and I am so glad I got to discover this book. The concept was so wonderful, and it was perfectly executed. If I could, I’d head back to the library and give it another read, but I can’t. I should try to get my own copy because it was so good. Thing is, it’s been so long since I read it the first time (at least it feels that way) it’ll feel a little bit like reading it for the first time again.

            I do still have mixed feelings towards it, but that’s only because it was the views on that review that led to me having to read onion boy.

 

            3. Psycho by Robert Bloch

This was another one of those books where it had been sitting on my shelf for too long, and there’s no good reason for that. This is a classic for a reason, and it had me on the edge of my seat throughout. I don’t know if I’ll read it again, but I’m sure that if I do, there will be all sorts of little hints and bits of foreshadowing that only show themselves on a second reading.

 

            2. Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer

Given that it’s so high on the list, it does feel a little bit wrong that I didn’t do a full review, but here we are. This is a book that I’d heard of before, but wasn’t really aware of what it was about. I read it because it was a class book, but I wish I’d read it so much sooner. I cried on multiple occasions, and my heart swelled throughout. It was certainly a read that’s going to stick with me for a long time.

 

1.     Out of Love by Hazel Hayes

If one day I can write a book this good, I’ll be a very happy man. It is a masterpiece, plain and simple. I adore this book, and I will until I am old and grey. I could talk about this book forever, but I’ll try to keep it short. This book made me laugh, it shocked me, it resonated with me, and it thoroughly broke my heart. When I can, I know that I’ll be getting the line are on the front cover as a tattoo, and I have a little note on my wall that says, “you are not a banana”. I physically cannot praise this book enough. I know I’ll read it again; the heartbreak is worth it.

 




Honourable Mentions


  •       Collected Ghost Stories by M. R. James, Classic Ghost Stories by Various Authors, and The Penguin Book of Ghost Stories by Various Authors. I didn’t read every story in these collections, but loved the ones I did.
  •        Chickenfeed by Minette Walters
  •       Lumberjanes: Beware the Kitten Holy by Shannon Watters, Grace Ellis, Noelle Stevenson, and Brooklyn Allen

 

Dishonourable Mention


  •         This is Why I Hate You by Greg ‘Onision’ Jackson.

I’m not reading the third book. You can’t make me. And if I do set a challenge, it’s probably going to be far more than 200 views. I’ve seen people talk about that third book, and it is the pits. Please don’t make me.

 

So, here’s to 2021. Let’s hope I can actually hit that 50-book challenge this time. I’m also thinking of starting a YouTube channel alongside this. It might even replace this if I have more fun with it. I’m not too sure though. You’ll have to let me know.

Comments