Paga by Maria Apichella: a review


I can’t remember what it was that made me pick up this book. I know I was with my friend in the university book shop, and unfortunately it has sat on my shelf since. I think I picked it up from the book shop around October or November 2019. It’s not the longest I’ve had something sitting on my shelf, but I am trying to not buy more books this year. I’m trying to buy fewer books this year and read more books that I own. I want the only books that I read that I don’t own to either be audiobooks or library books. I know there are two physical books that I want to buy this year, but I feel like that’s not too bad.
            If you’ve never read my poetry reviews before, then the way it works is by me giving short reviews of some of the poems within the collection and then do my usual final thoughts. It’s my best attempt to not spoil anything.

East                 West
There are many poems throughout this collection with this title. I decided to read them all together before reading anything else in the collection to see what effect that would have. They’re scattered throughout the pamphlet, but I wanted to see them as one.
            I wasn’t sure how it would go when I decided to read them all together, but I am really glad that I did. Seeing the story pan out like that is brilliant. There’s something so beautiful about the duality of the poems and how the context plays out; there’s a juxtaposition in the light-hearted nature of the first poem, and the turmoil in the last. The progression is perfect.

i.m of A, 1985–2011
This really hit me in a way that I wasn’t expecting. Of course, with the dates in the title, I knew what the subject of the poem would be, but I sat reading this poem on a train with my jaw clenched to try to stop myself from crying. I’m glad that it worked, otherwise I would have been deeply embarrassed.

Solitude Sunday
If the last poem hit me in a way that nearly made me cry, then this one would have had me a grin were I not in public when I was reading it. These are the words and moods of a university student. As it happens, I believe Maria Apichella is Aberystwyth university alumni, which is where I’m studying. Maybe that’s why this felt so familiar.

Scrabble
I’m a sucker for prose poetry anyway, but this one truly glows for me. the way Apichella seamlessly blends humour and serious topics is simply superb. This may well be my favourite piece in the collection, though it is competing with ‘Solitude Sunday’, and that’s a tough choice.

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed this collection. I’ll certainly be keeping an eye out for more of her work. I definitely recommend that you read Apichella’s work. Her poetry is full of emotion, and finds a brilliant balance between light and dark. Also, if you are a fellow Aber student, maybe support a fellow.

Comments