Rainbow Magic: Ruby the Red Fairy and Izzy the Indigo Fairy by Daisy Meadows: double feature reviews


Once more, this little double feature is all because of my university Writing Project. I needed something that I had a sense of nostalgia about, and this certainly fit the bill. I read this whole series so many times as a kid. In fact, I was a huge reader when I was in Primary School; I would whizz through books at breakneck speeds. Now, I can barely get through 20 pages. I think this 50 Book Challenge was an attempt to get a sense of that back.
            The Rainbow Magic series follows a pair of young girls on their quest to return the seven rainbow fairies to Fairy Land after Jack Frost cursed them.
            I think my childhood adoration of ballet pumps with the ribbons up the legs must have come from reading this. Ruby the Red Fairy has them in all of her illustrations. Those illustrations were something I always tried to copy. I was never particularly good at it, but that wasn’t the point.
            ““Tell me your names, quickly,” said the fairy.” This was a completely innocuous comment in this kids’ book, but knowing more about fairies as an adult means that I just feel like Ruby is trying to steal the children into the land of the Fae.
            I love that the king and queen of Fairly Land are Oberon and Titania. I love it when kids’ authors put a little something in there knowing that parents might be reading with their children and enjoy the reference.
            The nostalgia was so strong while reading that. When I finished, I found myself genuinely really happy to know that I had another to read. I know it’s not some great classic, but it’s great fun.
*
Honestly, I know I’ll say little more than I did in the last book, that’s the main reason this is a double feature. No reason for a tiny little review with only a couple lines of content.
            The majority of this book takes place in a land of sweets. When I was a kid, I thought that sounded so cool. That would have been paradise to tiny me. As an adult, I just think it sounds like a sticky mess. Oh God, have I grown up? I better not have done.
            I really recommend these books to anyone with young kids learning to read for themselves. If you have kids of your own, younger relatives, or maybe you tutor and want something interesting, I think these books are perfect. I adored them so much, and would love to think that joy could be shared.

Comments