A Christmas Hope by Anne Perry: a review


I was in my local library back home looking for something short and festive. I love Christmas media, but never read the books. The music and the movies are always wonderful (I know retail workers would disagree with the music) but I never look for festive books. I’ll be honest, I picked this book because I liked the cover and it looked short (I had to read it overnight). I didn’t know what to expect. I didn’t even read the blurb.
            A Christmas Hope by Anne Perry follows Claudine Burroughs as she tries to solve the murder of a prostitute. Three rich men accuse a drunk welsh poet, but he denies that he had anything to do with it. Claudine is determined to prove the innocence of the poet.
            I didn’t take many notes for this because I didn’t have much time to read it. I had to rather power through so this review will be somewhat short.
            Not reading the blurb meant that finding out that it’s actually a crime novel was a really wonderful surprise. The fact that Christmas is in it is rather incidental which means that I still need to find a Hallmark movie level cheesy book. I’m sure I’ll find something when I’m home again.
            I love seeing the way that things fall into place in a crime book. There’s something so satisfying about seeing everything come together. Anne Perry kept the suspense throughout the whole novel and brought everything together so nicely.
            I loved reading this book, and I was really pleased at how quickly I got through this book. It was a bit heavy at times and I wasn’t sure if I would actually be able to complete it. I really recommend this book. It’s so good, and Claudine is a brilliantly strong woman. She’s kind in the face of everything, and powerful too. I adore her.

Comments