Perfect Sound Whatever by James Acaster: a review


I kept forgetting to write notes on this, so this review will be far shorter than it should be. I kept forgetting to take notes, despite how much there is in this book that I should have written down. I got way too hooked on this book, though. It isn’t easy for me to quickly go through the book either because I have the audiobook, not a physical copy.
            I got this book as soon as I could after its release. I loved James Acaster’s Classic Scrapes. It even made the number 2 spot in my top 10 books of last year. I knew this book was completely different. I knew that Perfect Sound Whatever was going to be different in tone and contents, but I had to read it. James Acaster is a brilliant comedian, and I was curious to find out what a book like this would be like coming from him because of its dips into the darker side of Acaster’s mental health during the year 2017.
            Perfect Sound Whatever by James Acaster is the culmination of a year-long personal project that Acaster took on while suffering a major dip in mental health. He realised that 2016 is the best year for music and wanted to collect as much music from that year as possible. What started off as a small project became some what of an obsession and resulted in him having 366 albums from the year 2016. The book was difficult to listen to at times, but his honesty about his personal life is something that wasn’t necessary for him to do, but I’m quite glad he did. As a man under 50, mental health is the most dangerous thing to affect men, because we just don’t talk about it. I know that’s not why he was talking about it, but fucking good on him for being so honest.
            Don’t worry, his humour still runs the book. It isn’t bleak. While I didn’t take notes, there are still lines I remember well, and they’re usually the humorous ones. Mostly it’s the amount of times that he drags Ed Gamble, but it’s this line from the first chapter that stuck with me through the rest of the book:
            “I was sharing a flat with a number of inspirational comedians, and Nish Kumar.”
I might not have perfectly remembered the quote, but forgive me for not trying to find a line in an audiobook. It’s hard enough finding lines in physical books. I remember this line because I had to stifle a laugh listening to the book while out in public. Like I said, his humour survives the bleaker parts of the books. While there were bits difficult to listen to, so much of it was so easy to listen to. That’s why I forgot to take notes. I didn’t think to pause to take notes because I was too engrossed in listening.
Even the parts where it’s just about the music, I was so fascinated. The only times I paused was to find albums that I thought might be interesting. All the albums I listened to because of this have been brilliant, and because James Acaster has a weird sense in music like I do, it means I was able to find music in all sorts of genres. These are the albums from 2016 that I’ve listened to because of Perfect Sound Whatever:
·         Black Terry Cat by Xenia Rubinos
·         Flood Network by Katie Dey
·         Teens of Denial by Car Seat Headrest
·         Caress, Redact by Public Speaking
·         Solipsisters by Katie Dey
·         A Mulher do Fim do Mundo by Elza Soares
·         Nonagon Infinity by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
There would likely be more if I had the physical book. I could go through and find more artists. I have been listening to Lizzo because of this book too, though not just her 2016 stuff, and not her albums. I also already own Black Star by David Bowie, but was happy to see this in the book. I know that I should finally listen to Lemonade by BeyoncĂ©, and I will. I’ll likely watch the videos as is the way that I think Lemonade is meant to be consumed (no pun intended).
            I feel like I should point out a couple of my own 2016 recommendations because this book had me thinking about this sort of thing. The first one that came to my head (after Black Star, but that was in the book) was The Book of Souls by Iron Maiden. Those of you that know me, will be well aware that they are my favourite band, so it isn’t surprising to see them here. The other album that came to mind was Shape Shift With Me by Against Me! I adore this album. It was the first new album of theirs I was able to get after getting into the band. They too are a favourite of mine, and I even have two Against Me! tattoos.
            I absolutely recommend this book. I particularly recommend the audiobook. There’s something about the way that James Acaster talks that really makes this book even more special. I always recommend audiobooks if the author and narrator is a comedian. They have the right timing. There’s a reason their stage shows work. Audio or physical, get yourself a copy of this book. It’s truly compelling.

Comments