Disorder in the Court by Charles M. Sevilla: a review


I picked this book up because I’d seen a few brilliant court transcripts online, and reading a book full of them seemed like a really good idea. It's also worth pointing out that there's Comic Sans on the cover, and if that doesn't put you off, I don't know what will. I have therefore payed homage to this in this piece.
            I was going to go through this talking about my favourite bits the way I do with poetry or how I went through Adam Kay’s book. However, I feel that this might be giving you false hope for the amount of humour in this book. I made notes, but I’ve decided against putting them in here. This book was a real struggle to get through at times. So much of it just wasn’t funny. I think maybe the entries I struggled through were perhaps funny to Seville, who compiled this book, because he works within the court system.
            There are gems. I’d certainly call them diamonds in the rough. I did get a couple of genuine laughs from this book. It’s just too long. There’s far too much to search through to get to the best parts.
I can’t say I recommend this book. There are plenty of compilations of court transcripts online, and you’ll find the gems much more easily rather than having to push through this book.

Comments