Art is Dead by Thomas 'Tomska' Ridgewell: a review


I’ve been watching videos by Tomska for years now, and I am almost certain that, like many others, I got into those videos because of the ASDF movies. At least, that’s what I think. I might be wrong because it was such a long time ago. None of that matters for this review though. That was just my ramblings. I didn’t take notes for this book, so this review will not be refined.
            Art is Dead by Thomas ‘Tomska’ Ridgewell is a comic book collection of sketches both from the ASDF movies, and in that style.
I bought it at Manchester comic con, where I was able to get it signed. It’s another one of those books where I always wanted to buy it, but for some reason never picked it up. Comic con was the perfect excuse.
I’m going to keep this review short, because there isn’t a whole lot for me to say. The art style is one that is a comfort to me. It isn’t like that of something like Sam Kills Christmas. It’s simple. I imagine many of you know the ASDF style; I know that it was key to making the humour of a lot of people my age. The whole book was nostalgic. It didn’t matter if it was a sketch I knew; there’s just a sense of something classic when I read it. I should, of course, say that I did find it funny, but, for me, there was more a nostalgic sense. Maybe that’s just me being a little odd though.
I recommend this book, especially to those who adore ASDF movie. I know that goes without saying, but I do think it’s worth getting it, to enjoy that same sense that I got. This book is absolutely wonderful.

Comments