Sir, Butler and Boy... AKA Gay Butlers In A Cream Tea and Minority Monsters by Tab Kimpton: double feature reviews


I bought this on a trip to Manchester early on in the Summer. I think it was the same trip where I bought How to Talk to Girls at Parties. I went into this particular shop looking for Tab Kimpton’s Shades of A (review for that coming later this year), but they didn’t have it in at the time. I also bought Kimpton’s Kinktober, but that’s only drawings, so it’s not the sort of thing I’m going to write a full review of on here. It was a good piece, though, if you are wondering. Like this piece, Kinktober is an adult piece of work, if the title didn’t give that away in the case of Kinktober.
            Page 1 is your indicator that Sir, Butler, and Boy is not a book for a younger audience. There are warnings on the book itself, and is labelled as “NSFW” on Kimpton’s website. Page 2 is even more explicit, though it’s difficult to explain how it’s graphic, but you don’t actually see everything. I’m still not putting any more pages other than the first to make sure that anyone can read my review.

            You know it’s coming when I review anything like this, but it’s time for me to talk about the art style. I adore this style. It somehow manages to be minimalistic yet detailed. The lines and shading are so pleasing. It looks as though it’s done with ink, even if it’s done digitally, and it looks brilliant.
            Do not read this in any sort of company. I know this goes without saying, but I want to reiterate it. There’s no way to explain this to anyone who asks what you’re reading. You don’t want to have to explain to your mum why you’re reading smut.
            I wasn’t aware just how smutty this is when I first picked it up, and this was a case of naivety on my own part. I recommend it to anyone looking for this sort of thing, but I’m not going to recommend this to everyone. I won’t personally be looking for the rest of the series, but I still believe this was good, it’s just not exactly my thing to read. Kimpton has plenty of other works that I can enjoy.







After what I’d just read, this was a welcome break. Like I said, the last book was good, but it was a lot. This is a book that I’ve read before, and is rather more safe for work. I would say teen friendly rather than child friendly. I bought and read this when Tab Kimpton came and did a talk at my university. They were thoroughly entertaining, and when I spoke to them there and at comic con this Summer, they were super lovely. I also bought Shades of A at comic con alongside another couple bits of merch.




            It’s also worth pointing out that the version I have of Minority Monsters is huge, and Kimpton now sells mini versions. I saw these at comic con, and they look like they’ll actually fit on your bookshelf.
            Of course, I love the art style. I know I say it every time, but it’s true. Here’s the first creature of the book to show you the beautiful style:


            As well as this first creature, I’m also including a few pages here to give you a little more on the reviewer.






            I recommend this book so much. I recommend this people figuring out their identity. I recommend this to people simply wanting to learn more about the LGBTQ+ community (whether they’re a part of it or not). I also recommend this to parents who want to better understand their child’s identity. It really is a book for everyone.

Comments