Red Dwarf: Better Than Life by Rob Grant and Doug Naylor: a review


When I was told that this book was different to the episode, I didn’t quite realise just how different it really is. Frankly it’s so much better than the episode though. It does contain the first polymorph episode at the end, which is slightly altered too, but that’s only to make sure it follows on from the previous story. This explores far more about every character. We see more of the steady downfall of Rimmer’s Better Than Life experience, and we actually get to see Lister and the Cat’s experiences. It’s more than just a brief mention at the start like in the episode.
            I enjoy the way this version of the game is written, too. It’s an addiction, and of course it is, because its supposed to be your perfect fantasy. The book opens this up, and I feel like it’s more believable than the episode, but I do understand that there is more of a chance to explore different possibilities. There isn’t the time constraint that you get with a TV show.
            The time on the ship is a lot of fun. Talky Toaster is always funny. Of course, he’s irritating, but that’s what makes him fun. His interactions with Holly are always brilliant. Also, Chris Barrie is brilliant at doing Holly’s voice. All of his voices are fantastic (even if his scouse can be a little off at times) but his voice for Holly is utterly brilliant.
            The scene where the Polymorph is searching through Rimmer’s emotions is one of my favourite scenes of the book. I think the scene is at its best in audio form, though I don’t have the physical piece for comparison. The fading at the end of each memory is beautifully done. It’s especially brilliant when you finally hear the word “angry”.
            The fear-free Lister is way funnier in the book because he’s 61 years old. Him getting ready for battle is far more ridiculous with him being close to pensionable. Compared to Lister in the show, he’s more like an old guy who’s drunk, and thinks he can fight anything in his path, but, of course, he can’t.
            I really loved this book, and was looking forward to listening to the next book in the series, but the first two are the only ones on Audible, and I don’t have a cassette player, which is the only audio version I’ve found of the other two books. I’ll look to get physical copies of the books at some point. I certainly recommend this book, but, of course, read Red Dwarf: Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers first.

Comments