Mutants and Monsters by Oliver Ho: a review


I found this in the library when I was returning another book. There’s a little trolley next to the self-service desk where you put the recently returned books. I saw this on there, and it looked like fun. I’m almost certain that it’s a book for kids, but that doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy it.
            I’ll be honest, I don’t really believe in any of this stuff, but it is truly fascinating. Cryptids, myths, and legends are all so interesting, but there’s often an explanation. One thing that this book does well is say what the creatures could possibly be in the real world, if the mythical creature doesn’t actually exist.
            One of the most fascinating things about these creatures is that so many cultures share the same mythical creatures, despite having no cultural connection. Big Foot (and its various other forms) is really commonly found around the world. The variations aren’t even that vast. The only obvious difference is that the Yeti is white, compared to most of them being brown, but the behaviour is very similar with them all. It makes me think that there may be (or at least may have been at one point in history) a real creature that was witnessed by many different nationalities and cultures.
            Nessie was pretty much the only myth that made me think that it could be real. The sonar couldn’t even be sure that there isn’t something in the Loch. There are certain creatures that I’d like to be real, and the Loch Ness Monster is definitely one of them.
            This is only a short book and there isn’t too much for me to say on it. If you have an interest in cryptids and the like, then give this book a read.  It isn’t a large amount of information, because it’s only a small book, but it is a good lift off point to look into any creatures that strike your interest. This book was very enjoyable, and was a nice quick read. Yes, it’s probably for kids, but it was still a bit of fun. If you want a short book with some enjoyable facts on cryptids, then get hold of it.

Comments