Baby at the Beach Café by Lucy Diamond: a review


I picked this book up because I wanted something short and easy to read. I knew that my library has a few of those “Quick Reads” books, so I picked up the first one I found. I wasn’t looking for ground-breaking. I was just looking for a bit of quick entertainment.
            Baby at the Beach Café by Lucy Diamond follows Evie and Helen in Cornwall. Evie runs a little beach café, but needs to take maternity leave soon. She’s reluctant to give up her leadership, but has to step down for a short while. Helen takes on the role and the two of them find it difficult to get on, until they need to work together.
            I enjoy the chapters alternating points of view between Helen and Evie. It opens up perspective, and gives some brilliant bits of dramatic irony. The way the chapters play off each other works really well.
            Our two leads are fun to read. They both have the air of your mum’s friend that you call “aunty” despite having no relation to them.
            The character development throughout is brilliant, and watching Helen work through all of her problems leading up to the birth is really satisfying to read.
            Overall, this book was genuinely really enjoyable. It didn’t take too long to read, and there are others in the series; if they’re in the library too, I’ll pick them up. I can’t say this is my usual thing but it was enjoyable nonetheless.

Comments