Poems by Iain Banks and Ken MacLeod: a review


I picked up this book in the library last year but never got around to reading it. I left it too late and had to return it before heading back to uni. I wanted to make sure it got read this time. I picked it up because of Iain Banks. I can’t say I know Ken MacLeod, but knowing that his work was alongside Banks’, I figured I was in good hands. The book that got me into reading Banks was, like many people, The Wasp Factory. I read it years ago but it’s a piece that’s really stuck with me. If you’ve read it, you’ll know that it’s truly unforgettable. I picked this up hoping that it would be just as memorable.
Iain Banks’ Poetry
Damage
There’s an anger that could only come from a Scot, and it fills this poem. It should, of course, be read out loud, as all poems should, and if it were, the chills I felt with just silent reading would be amplified so much.
            The final line of part 1 of the poem is utterly striking. This is one of those lines that sticks with you after you’ve closed the book.
            The repetitions in each part work to great effect. They keep tensions high throughout, especially the fragments.
            This first poem is an absolute indication that his poetry is truly as powerful as his prose. There’s a feeling like you’ve just been winded, but you don’t feel like complaining about it.
Zakalwe’s Song
There’s no way of giving you an idea of the feeling reading this poem. The last line gives a fair idea though:
            “The bomb lives only as it falls”
9
“An etcetera of presumed catastrophe” is a beautiful line. It’s brilliantly compact.
Hesitation
Reading Iain Banks is like being kicked in the teeth, and then you look your assaulter in the eye, and say “again”, even if you’re not sure why.
Outward Siege
‘Fuck me!’ (said Buddha from the pyramid of Calgary” killed me. In fact, that whole stanza was brilliant to read, and it is nice to smile while reading Iain Banks.
The Signpost at Midnight
You can tell with this poem that Banks is a novelist, and a brilliant one, too. His storytelling is in this poem is truly enviable. It isn’t a pleasant story, but it’s so compelling.
18
I love the sense of justice in this piece. Justice, with just a hint of sardonic humour.
Metamorphosis
A poem that is aware that it is, in fact, a poem. Meta writing has always fascinated me, and it’s stunning when it’s done well, as it is here. The las three lines give us a beautiful metaphor:
            “‘But look, we’re only scratching the surface.’
            And you said
            ‘Yes, but from the inside.’”
J – an apology
Trying to shirk away love intentionally is like trying to not think about cats. Do it now. Try not to think about cats. The more you try to send the thoughts away, the stronger they come back. This poem really embodies that. It has the air of an old classic. Something of the Romantic fills its lines.
            “What can I do to love you less,
            But try to love you more?”
Mediterranean
Much of this collection reminds me of T.S Eliot. It is excellent story telling often disguised as absolute nonsense.
041
I love the softness in this poem. Chaos often fills this collection, but not here. Here we have a sense of calm and beauty. This may well be one of my favourites.
Wealth
A short and snappy poem that works excellently. Sometimes removing extended metaphor, and having a 6-line poem has far more impact.
Ken MacLeod’s Poetry
As I said earlier, MacLeod’s work is completely new to me. I had no knowledge of him or his work, so it was nice having no forethought going into this.
Uneasy Lies
It’s easy to see why these two have their poetry together in one collection. Time and location help, but their styles fit excellently with one another.
Faith as a Grain of Poppy Seed
Feeling small in the grand scheme of things is no reason to feel insignificant within your own world. That’s what I gather from this poem. There are plenty of small things in the larger universe, but we would never call them insignificant to us.
Ham’s Story
The storytelling here is magnificent here. The prosaic nature makes it seem as though it’s an old tale. I think this might be my favourite of MacLeod’s pieces.
Stalin
There’s an anger radiating from this poem. It takes a certain kind of someone (a Scot) to have an anger like this, and it works so well for poetry.
The Word
I love the humour in this piece, especially the final stanza.
Scots Poet, Not
You have to read this in a Scottish accent, otherwise it doesn’t work. Also, this does make me wonder if I could write a northern poem in this sort of style. I do appreciate the little translation bit at the end. It was superb.

Comments