Hilda and the Bird Parade by Luke Pearson: a review


Browsing the graphic novel section of my local library, this book immediately caught my eye. The cover was bold, bright, and it spoke to my inner child. The art style is simple, but it’s wonderful to see. Throughout the book I found myself being encapsulated by it.
            Hilda and the Bird Parade by Luke Pearson follows Hilda after she’s moved away from the country into the inner city. She gets lost after her new friends run off, and finds an injured raven. She nurses it back to health as she makes her way back home and has an adventure which ends with the Bird Parade.
            Before my thoughts on the story, I want to say something that might sound strange. The paper this book is printed on is really nice. It’s a lovely matte paper with a nice feeling on the fingertips, and it doesn’t catch the light. It has the feel of a regular book more than a graphic novel. Often, they have the feel of a thick magazine, which isn’t bad, but this is much nicer.

            The story is so sweet. There’s a sense of absolute childlike wonder, but it doesn’t feel like a book that’s strange to read as an adult. It’s soft, and I feel a real sense of warmth while I read it. It’s a story for all.
            I absolutely need to find more Hilda stories. I hope there’s more at the library, if not I’ll have to find them somewhere, as they are an absolute pleasure to read. I’ve also found that there’s a series on Netflix, and I hope it does the books justice. This is a book that I wholeheartedly recommend. If you just want something cosy to read, then get yourself onto this book.

Comments