Sur by Ursula K. Le Guin: a review


I still haven’t read a book that hasn’t been for class or work yet but at least my reading hasn’t been disappointing. ‘Sur’ by Ursula K. Le Guin was an unexpected gem. Much of what I’ve read for that module has been interesting but not entirely gripping; I read the chapters that I needed to. This was only a short story, so it wasn’t much of a task to read—I think it took be only an hour in total. That hour was spent glued to my Kindle. I usually have to take breaks when I read, because I don’t have much of an attention span, but by the time I had the chance to think of needing a break, I’d already finished the book.
            ‘Sur’ follows and all female expedition to the South Pole. The story opens with Juana telling us that she does not intend for her story to be published; she only means for it to be a family heirloom. I find this so endearing. I love that she sees no difference in her trek to the South Pole (at the same time as Amundson and Scott) than with wedding dresses and baby clothes. Scott was an A-grade publicist and every journey he took was known well to much of the public. His journeys were as much for the glory as they were for the knowledge that the world can bring.
            Le Guin’s narrative voice is brilliant and unique. It’s authentically old while still feeling refreshingly new. It’s hard for me to put my finger on exactly what it is that gives it this feeling but I’m so thankful for it. I’m also aware that I do read a lot of books written by men and reading a voice that’s so female is refreshing. Juana and her team remind me of my mother, aunts and grandmothers. Their attitude of just getting on with it because there’s nothing else to do takes me home despite how far in place and time these characters are from me. I think that’s what makes me warm to Le Guin so much. Time doesn’t matter. Location doesn’t matter. Home is the people around and she shows this in her adventurers so well.
            I won’t spoil this because it’s a short story and it likely won’t take too long for you to get to the end. I will, however, say this: the end is excellent, but it truly is rather bleak. I read the last few pages in absolute surprise and I must say that I had tears in my eyes. It doesn’t take long for the characters to take a warm place in the heart and the end of the book is when Juana is an older woman. I’ll leave the rest to your imagination. Well, I’d rather not leave it there. Go and read this. The book where this short story is found is in The Compass Rose and isn’t too expensive on Kindle. I’m aware that many book lovers shun the Kindle because physical books feel better. Yes, they do, but I also like getting books for a decent price, and it’s also excellent having a library in your bag.
            Firmly back on track, I want to end by saying that I adored this book from start to finish. I recommend that you try to get your hands on a copy. I think that there might even be a copy online somewhere for free. Get yourself a way to read it. Trust me.

Comments