Mauretania by Chris Reynolds: a review


I love stories that are of our world but not quite. Near-future type stuff (Black Mirror being the most obvious version of the type of thing I’m talking about). Similarly, Little Eyes which I read and reviewed earlier this year, ticked all the right boxes for me with this type of fiction. When I picked this book up off the shelf, my interest was certainly piqued.

            Mauretania by Chris Reynolds is a graphic novel following Susan; she’s an ordinary young woman who loses her job at Fern Ltd. When she’s employed by Reynal Import/Export, they are keen to ask questions about her previous employment. They are interested in Jimmy, a strange figure in a motorbike helmet that he never removes with II on the front. Susan is unsure of the connection between Fern Ltd. and Jimmy but is curious to figure out what’s going on.

            I love when graphic novels are on “regular” book paper rather than on the sort of magazine type paper that’s so often found with books like this. Is this just my neurodivergent brain taking over and looking for that sweet, sweet texture? You’re damn right it is, and for that I make no apologies. I do feel like the reading experience is more than the contents. It’s why people love the smell of books (myself included). Graphic novels with matt pages are exquisite, and this is the hill I will die on.

            However, I’m not necessarily so keen on the paneling layout here. It can feel a little monotonous at times with the basic four panels equally spaced on almost every page. I tend to prefer something a little more dynamic. I think this could have worked in a shorter form, but doesn’t work so well for me in this longer piece. I will say, however, that the repetitive nature does kind of fit. I don’t particularly like it, but I get it. Despite the strange things happening, Susan’s life is kind of a grind at times.

            I think that’s what makes this book kind of sedate. I don’t know that that’s what I was expecting, but I really like that aspect of it. It’s a book that, while not being upbeat and positive, is actually incredibly easy to read. No matter how bleak the contents, I was able to just steadily make my way through this book no problem.

            I’m certainly really glad I read I read this book, and I’m sure I’ll be back to it at some point.  It’s a strange little book, and I can 100% recommend you find yourself a copy. I found mine at Burnley Library.

Comments