The Pit and the Pendulum (graphic novel) by Edgar Allan Poe. Adapted by Sean Tulien. Illustrated by JC Fabul: a review


I’ve been mad into Gothic fiction for years now, so it’s really no surprise that this (or my next couple reads) caught my eye while browsing the graphic novel section of my local library.

            The Pit and the Pendulum by Edgar Allan Poe (adapted for this edition by Sean Tulien and JC Fabul) is the story of a prisoner being held by the Spanish Inquisition. He goes through a series of ordeals, seeking a glimpse of hope, but none seems to be coming his way. Though he took certain liberties with historical accuracy, Poe’s depiction of the horrors of the Inquisition is one that will stick with you long after reading.

            The art by JC Fabul is wonderfully atmospheric, and his style works so well with the dark and haunting mood of the whole piece. His use of light in particular sets the tone and is incredibly eye-catching.

            Poe’s phenomenal storytelling paired with haunting illustrations was pulled off expertly here, and I hope the other adaptations are also available at my local library because this one was absolutely fantastic. I’ll certainly be on the look-out.

            I can absolutely see myself diving back into these pages again. If you love Poe’s stories, or you’re interested in getting into them, then this is something I can definitely recommend. This can be found at Burnley Library.

Comments