Lumberjanes Double-Feature: Friendship to the Max and Out of Time: a review



Despite being a double feature, this is going to be a relatively short review. I can’t quite remember how long ago it was that I read the first Lumberjanes book, but I do remember really enjoying it, and finding a couple more books in this collection during my library visit was a real treat.

            I’m keeping it short because I don’t think I can say much more than I’ve already said. Don’t get me wrong these books are all distinct and unique, but these are books that you can easily dip in and out of, and you can read them without having read any of the others. For example, I’ve read books 1, 2, and 4. I would like to find book 3, but it isn’t integral to my enjoyment.

            I think the reason that I enjoy these books so much is because they encapsulate that child-like whimsy while sticking to some genuinely frightening concepts. Whether that’s fantasy fears of monsters and beasts, or far more tangible fears of being lost and alone, I imagine they work equally well for adult and child readers. I could easily see this being the sort of series you read when you’re young and come back to over and over as you get older. I almost wish I had read this as a kid; I’d have loved it so much.

            I also really enjoy how easy it is to read these books. They pulled me in, and before I knew it, I’d sped through both of them because I was enjoying them so much. If I owned these, they’d be in and out of my bookshelf so often.

            I can 100% recommend any of the Lumberjanes books that you can find. If you are fans of the new She-Ra series, then you’ll certainly want to get your hands in more of Noelle Stevenson’s work with this series.

Comments