Spider Gwen: most wanted? by Jason Latour and Robbi Rodriguez and How to Talk to Girls at Parties by Neil Gaiman, Fábio Moon and Gabriel Bá: a review double feature


I borrowed this from the library almost entirely because I’d watched Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse not long before, and it made me want to find some more Spidey comics. I’ve always enjoyed the films, and the comics I have read have always been a lot of fun.
            I am, as usual in love with the art style. I know I say that I love the art in every comic book, but I am a sucker for beautiful art. The colours in this are stunning.
            While this is the second part in a series, there are enough context clues to mean that not reading the first part didn’t have a major affect on my enjoyment at all.
            The little “the spider-office doesn’t endorse The Smiths” bit was a wonderful little aside. There are a couple asides in this book, and they are all rather fun.
            Gwen’s character arc is really interesting, and one that I really want to find more about. I’ll definitely try to find more in the series.
            Overall, I really loved this book, and certainly recommend it to anyone; it doesn’t matter if you’re a firm Spidey fan, or new to the comics as I am. This is a brilliant piece of work. It’s certainly made me want to read more. I’m not too fussed which Spidey comics I find, as I’m still exploring at this point, but I do love Gwen, and hope to find more of her comics.





I bought this book at the beginning of Summer, and have been meaning to read it since. After reading Stardust, I’ve been far more compelled to read more of Neil Gaiman’s work. I’ve always loved his stuff, and even more recently.

            It’s a graphic novel, so you know I’m going to be talking about the art, and how much I love it. A lot of my upcoming reviews are graphic novels, or they at least contain a lot of art, so you may have to get used to me being in love with artists. I can’t quite work out if the art in this book is watercolour or something like Copic markers, but the effect is stunning. I’m aware it could be a digital effect to recreate a watercolour or marker style, but it still looks absolutely gorgeous.


            The warmth in the party juxtaposed with the boys on the street is so charming. The pinks, yellows, and oranges are utterly inviting, and are wonderfully reminiscent of a sunset.
            While I didn’t take many notes, as I didn’t take too long to read this, I can safely say that the story is utterly compelling, and is a wonderful take on the ridiculous thought that “women are from another planet”. The section with the poetry gave me chills. Everything about this book is stunning. I cannot recommend this enough, because I am utterly enamoured by this book.

Comments