Hilda and the Stone People by Luke Pearson: a review


Once again, I found myself utterly enthralled by the art style here. However, I talked about that last time I reviewed a Hilda book, so I’ll try not to repeat myself.
            I love that we’re thrown right into the action here with Hilda chasing after a tiny plot of land with legs that’s run off with a little house on it. While chasing this, she comes across the rocks that later turn out to be a set of trolls. Being thrown into the story like this shines a brilliant light on the sense of adventure, and this adventure continues throughout the book.
            I love the layout with the little flashbacks. They’re brilliantly executed. That alone is an incentive to try to find more of the Hilda books.


            It was lovely to see return of the Raven from the previous Hilda book that I read. Plus, Hilda’s mother yelling at the Raven as if it were her child was a wonderfully silly bit to read.

            I absolutely adore these books, and need to get my hands on copies of my own. I borrowed the two I’ve read from the library, but my own copies would be delightful. They are so much fun, and sometimes it’s nice to have something quick and easy to read. These work perfectly with that, and they are a lovely way to escape for a short while. For 20 minutes I get to be whisked away to another world, and the sense of childlike wonder and adventure, thankfully, sticks around for a while afterwards.

Comments