"Brocko n' Frens" and "The Scream" by Sajan Rai: double feature reviews


I got Brocko n’ Frens back in 2017 at Manchester Comic Con. I bought it entirely because Sajan Rai had drawn me as a sloth for a ridiculously cheap price, and I felt like I needed to give him more for his work. This book and a couple stickers caught my eye, so I bought them. He even signed the book with a little picture of Brocko.
            I’ve read this book a few times and was so glad when its prequel was released, but that’ll be covered in the second part of this.
            Brocko n’ Frens by Sajan Rai follows Brocko, Barnabus, and Baby Seal on their ridiculous adventures in being generally terrible. Well, Barnabus isn’t terrible, but he’s being dragged along by the other two (mostly Brocko). This is a collection of short stories gathered into one collection.
            The opening page immediately brings you up to speed on how terrible these people are:

            I love that The Scream is their teacher. The Scream as in the Edvard Munch painting, and the expressions are drawn perfectly. The expressions for everyone are brilliant. I adore the art style in this. I know I say that for everything, but I fall in love with art really easily.
            Before reading this again, I knew that Baby Seal had a little phrase that he repeated, but I couldn’t quite remember what it was. As soon as I saw “doesn’t” I was filled with joy. It shouldn’t be funny, but it is every time.
            Someone (Brocko) doing a crap in the soap dispenser is the story that stuck with me more than the rest. Maybe because it is the most repulsive, but this story might just be my favourite. It’s got the most to it, and is the most enjoyable.
            Baby Seal, despite being terrible, is one of the most wonderful characters to read. I’m not happy that this is true, but he’s really adorable.
            I really feel for Barnabus. He just wants to chill out with his friends.  He doesn’t want in on any of the terrible things that are going on around him. I honestly just want to give him a hug.
            Everybody in this is such a tragic character, and I think that’s what makes it so funny. Few of them have any redeeming qualities, and those that do are being screwed over the entire time. However, the humour often overwrites the need to really feel sorry for anyone. It’s that feeling of knowing that you shouldn’t laugh that only makes things funnier.
            The bit where they make Baby Seal into a goth had me crying with laughter. I think it’s the nipple piercings that tipped me over the edge. The book us a wild ride.
            I think there’s one word that truly sums up this book, and that’s feral. There’s no better way to completely sum it up. Frankly, I adore it in all of its feral nature. I 100% recommend buying this book. It’s £10 on Sajan Rai’s online shop. Support independent artists, and have a feral time.
*
As soon as I found out that Sajan Rai was releasing a book about The Scream, I had it on order. Brocko n’ Frens is probably my favourite comic book, and finding that it was getting a prequel was excellent news. I ordered it as soon as I could. I was so happy to find this picture in the back that was hand drawn and signed.
            The Scream by Sajan Rai follows our title character during his young adult life up to the point of becoming a teacher. It shows us why he’s such a tragic character, and it’s a wonderful bit of backstory. This is one story, rather than a collection like the previous book.
            Once again, the tone is set early on, with our very first page being outside and “orgy room”:

            This is only a short read, but it’s so worth it. You don’t particularly have to have read Brocko n’ Frens to enjoy this book, but you should read both. There’s only one moment towards the end that references the last book, but it’s fleeting. Both books are so much fun to read. This one is only £5 on his shop, and like I said, you should really go and support him. He’s utterly fantastic, and I really hope you get a copy of these books.

Comments