2021: a year in reviews!

Happy New Year! 2021 was certainly something, huh. At the very least this was a big year of reading for me, be it personally or for class work. Let’s take our annual look back and see a year in reviews.

2021 Reads (books with * next to them were reviewed for Bad Reputation Book Club on Bits Bobs and Books)

1.       Pillow Talk – Freya North

2.       The Flat Share – Beth O’Leary

3.       Carmilla – J. Sheridan Le Fanu

4.       Piers Morgan’s Vegan Lover – Alizee Yeezy

5.       Yungblud Presents: The Twisted Tales of the Ritalin Club - Yungblud, Ryan O'Sullivan, Derick Jones, Jen Hickman, Goran Gligovic, and Ian McGinty

6.       The Playboy of the Western World- J.M Synge

7.       My People – Caradoc Evans

8.       A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man – James Joyce

9.       Portrait of the Artist as a Young Dog – Dylan Thomas

10.   Their Little Secret – Mark Billingham

11.   The Last September – Elizabeth Bowen

12.   The Year of Taking Chances – Lucy Diamond

13.   Country Dance – Margiad Evans

14.   Pride and Prejudice – Jane Austen

15.   High Rise – J.G. Ballard

16.   Queer: A Graphic History – Meg-John Barker and Julia Scheele

17.   Chu Volume One: The First Course by John Layman and Dan Boultwood

18.   Lumberjanes: Friendship to the Max – Noelle Stevenson

19.   Lumberjanes: Out of Time – Noelle Stevenson

20.   Labyrinth: Coronation I - Simon Spurrier, Daniel Bayliss, and Dan Jackson

21.   J + K – John Pham

22.   Ynygordna – Kellan Williams

23.   Hot Milk – Deborah Levy

24.   Lolita – Vladimir Nabokov

25.   Strange Planet – Nathan W. Pyle

26.   Call Me By Your Name – André Aciman

27.   When I Arrived at the Castle – Emily Carroll

28.   Little Eyes – Samanta Schweblin

29.   Labyrinth: Coronation II – Simon Spurrier, Ryan Ferrier, Daniel Bayliss, Irene Flores, Dan Jackson, Joana Lafuente

30.   Labyrinth: Coronation III – Simon Spurrier, Ryan Ferrier, Daniel Bayliss, Irene Flores, Joana Lafuente

31.   The invention of Sound – Chuck Palahniuk

32.   The Sleeper and the Spindle – Neil Gaiman and Chris Riddell

33.   Fifty Shades of Grey – EL James *

34.   A Man & His Cat – Umi Sakurai

35.   Fright Night – Maren Stoffels

36.   The Promise – Lucy Diamond

37.   A Man & His Cat 2 – Umi Sakurai

38.   A Man & His Cat 3 – Umi Sakurai

39.   Ice Planet Barbarians – Ruby Dixon *

40.   The Song of Achilles – Madeline Miller

41.   Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up With Me – Mariko Tamaki and Rosemary Valero-O’Connell

42.   Bill and Ted are Doomed – Evan Dorkin and Roger Langridge

43.   Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic – Alison Bechdel

44.   The Breadwinner: A Graphic Novel – Deborah Ellis

45.   The ABC Murders – Agatha Christie

46.   Twilight – Stephenie Meyer *

47.   The Pit and the Pendulum (graphic novel) – Edgar Allen Poe (adapted by Sean Tulien and JC Fabul)

48.   Barking – Lucy Sullivan

49.   Bram Stoker’s Dracula – Roy Thomas, Mike Mignola, and John Nyberg

50.   Walking in Berlin: A Flaneur in the Capital – Franz Hessel (translated by Amanda DeMarco)

51.   Mauretania – Chris Reynolds

52.   The Little French Recipe Book – Jacky Durand

53.   After – Anna Todd *

54.   Rabbit Hole – Mark Billingham

55.   So Happy it Hurts – Anneliese Mackintosh

56.   Youth – Curt Pires, Alex Diotto, Dee Cunniffe, and Micah Myers

57.   Hansel and Gretel – Neil Gaiman and Lorenzo Mattotti

58.   The Switch – Beth O’Leary

59.   John Constantine: Hellblazer Volume II: The Best Version of You – Simon Spurrier, Aaron Campbell, Matias Bergara, and Jordie Bellaire

60.   Pendle: Witch Country – Alastair Lee

61.   The Canterville Ghost – Oscar Wilde

62.   Coffin Bound – Brad Simpson, Aditya Bidikar, Dan Watters, and Dani

63.   Save The Pearls: Revealing Eden – Victoria Foyt *

64.   Detransition, Baby – Torrey Peters

65.   ‘I’m Sorry, I Love You’: A History of Professional Wrestling – Jim Smallman

66.   Eat Pray Love – Elizabeth Gilbert *

67.   Red Winter – Anneli Furmark

68.   The Midnight Library – Matt Haig

69.   Gingerbread – Helen Oyeyemi

70.   The Magic Toyshop – Angela Carter

71.   The Murderer’s Ape – Jakob Wegelius (Translated by Peter Graves)

72.   Fifty Shades Darker – EL James *

73.   The Christmas Secret – Karen Swan

74.   The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo – Taylor Jenkins Reid

 

I genuinely don’t think I’ve had a reading list that extensive since I was in Primary School, where I could power through 300 pages in two days. I’ve had a real range of reads, and I plan on continuing in that vein over the next year. Variety being the spice of life and all that. I’ve had a lot of fun.

Autumn’s Top 10 reads of 2021 (in no particular order):


1.      
Pillow Talk – Freya North

This was the book that kicked off 2021, and I still think about it all the time. It’s a brilliantly written romance, plain and simple. It isn’t overly tropey (in fact it fights a few tiresome tropes) and it just had me hooked at every turn. I had fun with this book, and I cried over this book, and now that I’m talking about it, I want to read it again. Maybe I could read it again in 2022. There’s nothing stopping me.


2.      
Ynygordna – Kellan Williams

I read a lot less poetry than I’d planned to this year, but I’m really glad that I still fit this collection into my reading list. It’s challenging to read at times, and I absolutely mean that as a compliment. The explorations of gender, sexuality, and trauma are hard to get through, but they should be sometimes. It’s a masterful display of craftsmanship that I’m certain to return to in the future.


3.      
A Man & His Cat 1, 2 & 3 – Umi Sakurai

Am I cheating by putting all of this series in the top 10 as one entry? Maybe so, but it is my list so you can’t get too mad at me. As introductions to manga go, I couldn’t have asked for anything better. Fukumaru is just the most precious little boy, and I still feel the tears coming thinking about how people could possibly think that perfect baby was too ugly to buy from the pet store. Mr. Kanda and his cat are perfect for each other, and I can’t wait to read book 4.

4.       The Promise – Lucy Diamond



Lucy Diamond is quickly becoming one of my favourite authors, and I look forward to reading much more of her work, both already published and her future projects. She has an incredible way of drawing you in and just really falling in love with her characters. My whole heart was owned by this book, and it’s just wonderful. Having an exploration of grief and mourning not feel like constant pain, but rather how you can at least attempt to make some positives in the darkest times is wonderful.


5.      
The ABC Murders – Agatha Christie

Listen, I don’t have to explain to anyone that Agatha Christie is one of, if not the greatest crime writers of all time. Therefore. it shouldn’t be surprising to see her making her way into my top ten. I was hooked from start to finish, and in the coming months, I know I’ll have to read much more Christie, especially Poirot. The pieces were laid out so expertly so you could figure it out yourself, but you don’t feel mad at being outsmarted.

6.       Rabbit Hole – Mark Billingham



Speaking of expert crime writers, Mark Billingham is captivating at every turn. I read two of his novels this year, and adored both of them. I chose this one in particular as part of my top ten as much for the audiobook performance as much as the writing. Maxine Peake’s reading of this book was everything, but that’s hardly a surprise. The characterisation in this book is phenomenal. I’m also grateful for the care taken with portraying people with mental illnesses. They aren’t villains because of their issues.


7.      
The Switch – Beth O’Leary

As with Lucy Diamond, Beth O’Leary is an author that quickly became someone who I’m always excited to read. Her work is so charming and funny, especially thanks to her characters. She creates casts of people you’d love to have in your life, and this was made so clear in this book. It’s especially the older cast of characters in this book that I just wish I had to guide me through life and possibly get me into hijinks.

8.      
‘I’m Sorry, I Love You’: A History of Professional Wrestling – Jim Smallman


I am more than aware that a little bit of the reason this is on my top 10 is because of my love of the subject matter. Biases aside, this book was so good — the perfect blend of entertaining and informative. It’s great fun, and holds little back. Also, I think about the reason Steve Austin is “Stone Cold” all the time.


9.      
The Midnight Library – Matt Haig

Look, I wasn’t expecting to find joy from an existential crisis, but good God was this book everything. This was a very loving take on finding hope without ever being saccharine or falling into toxic positivity traps. Realising that the right place to be isn’t always the best place in that moment is refreshing and it’s a book that’s going to sit with me for a very long time.

10.  
The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo – Taylor Jenkins Reid


Anyone who’s read this book knows why it’s on here. It was absolutely stunning, and I’m so glad I finished my year of with it. The characters and plot are everything, and the performances on the audiobook version add up to the most perfect whole. We love some bi rep done right. For a start, the word “bisexual” is actually used. Also, “don’t ignore half of me so can fit me into a box”. Chef’s kiss.

 




Honourable mentions:

·         The Year of Taking Chances – Lucy Diamond

·         Their Little Secret – Mark Billingham

·         The Flat Share – Beth O’Leary

·         Little Eyes – Samanta Schweblin

·         Song of Achilles – Madeline Miller

·         Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up With Me – Mariko Tamaki and Rosemary Valero-O’Connell

·         So Happy it Hurts – Anneliese Mackintosh

·         The Murderer’s Ape – Jakob Wegelius

Thank you for joining me for the past year on here. In fact, thank you for sticking with me my whole time on this review blog. I’m bringing it to an end after this. It’ll still be up, and maybe I’ll come back here one day. However, I’m not leaving book content behind. I’m moving over to YouTube. I’ll link my profile here, and I’ll be posting an intro saying what to expect from the channel in due time!

Comments