The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid: a review


I’ve seen this a few times over the last couple of months, and when I found a copy at the library, I rushed to borrow it. I also got the audiobook (mostly because I hadn’t done time management perfectly towards the end of the month here) so I’ve been reading with both, depending on the mood. This is also my final book of the year, and spoiler alert, I couldn’t have asked for a better note to leave the year on.

            The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid is a historical fiction novel following the life of actress, Evelyn Hugo as she tells it in one final interview to Monique Grant. This book offers an insight into love, grief, and identity. While Grant isn’t so sure why she was chosen by Hugo to write the authorised biography, but all becomes clear with time.

            I only wish I’d read this sooner. As heart-breaking as it so frequently was, I was hooked at every turn. Reid manages to create someone who genuinely feels as captivating as other people describe them. All too often, characters are described as charismatic, but they themselves never seem to be. The same cannot be said for Evelyn Hugo. That woman is so captivating. Were she real, I know that the world would be just as in love with her as they are in this novel.

            The pacing is done so perfectly. It’s pretty simply told, but the pacing of Evelyn’s story balanced with what’s going on in the modern day is brilliantly impactful. The way you slowly start to see Monique’s building confidence just by being around Evelyn, and she feels this bond right to the earth-shattering revelation is everything. No spoilers here, of course, every moment of this should be experienced first-hand, but there are some moments where you just feel this thud in your chest, and as painful as it’s about to be, you have to keep reading.

            I know I’ll be back to this book in the future. Heartbreak or no heartbreak. The comparisons (in terms of the way you’re left feeling) to Song of Achilles, to me at least, are definitely deserved. This is an incredibly beautiful book that I recommend with every fibre of my being. It’s certainly on the top ten candidates list (though it’s in a team of about twenty to contend with). Come back on Friday 31st December 2021 to see my end of year wrap up!

Comments