Doggolescence by Kyra the Staffy (and also Rachel Oates): a review

I could read Gabbie Hanna’s poetry, and write a review that would be like the myriad already out there. One of the best and most in-depth reviews of Gabbie’s poetry is by a YouTuber called Rachel Oates. Her review of Adultolescence is brilliant, and watching these reviews led me to discover that she had, with the help of her dog Kyra, created a poetry book that is a parody of Gabbie’s collection. So I could have some fun, I have decided to read and review this book instead. There will be some comments on Gabbie’s poetry, but only as comparison.

 

“Poop”

This is such a brilliant opener to the collection. It brilliantly sets a tone, and parodies “Sleep” so well. It gets at the over simplistic nature of Gabbie’s poem. I should say that I have no problems with simple poems, but they have to achieve something. They, like all poems, should make the reader feel something (other than bored). “Poop” achieves something that “Sleep” never does. “Sleep” does little more than relay information; “Poop” is funny and silly. The last two lines really tickled me with… do I credit Rachel or Kyra as the author here? Kyra is the credited author on the cover, and it is much more fun to credit a wee staffy. Sorry to Rachel who actually did the work here. Kyra’s reference to Rachel’s video and the Shakespeare comparison is so much fun, but even if you haven’t watched that video, the line is still funny.

 

“Mirror”

Any pet owner can relate to watching their little friend’s confusion at a mirror. Their belief that there is another animal in the house that does not belong there is always amusing to watch, and you wish you could explain it to them. My grandma’s cat, Tinker, screams at himself in the mirror until somebody moves him away.

            “Mirror” is a lovely exploration into the mind of a pet seeing itself in the mirror. The frustration comes across so well.

            “Cut”, the poem that this is parodying, is awful in so many ways, but the insensitivity really is the worst of it. The ‘bait and switch’ is gross and unnecessary, and Kyra did a wonderful job at actually making a good little switch. There is no way for “Mirror” to be harmful, and is simply heart-warming.

 

Pretending to be Bo Burnham

I try to keep things like this out of reviews, to make sure they don’t date too badly, but the only way I can describe my reaction to this title is that I looked exactly like the white guy blinking gif. I’m so glad that no punches were pulled here.

            This poem is also ridiculously sweet in the best way possible. I actually said ‘aww’ out loud. I wouldn’t usually share a whole poem in my reviews, but this is only two lines, and I want to share some joy:

            I am loved because I love others.

            I love others because I am loved.

Isn’t that just wonderful? It’s a poem that spreads a sense of warmth. It works as an excellent parody as well as a way to bring some wholesome joy.

 

As a quick side note, I very much appreciate the photos of Kyra that are included in the book. More poets should include pictures of themselves lying in grass. I want, no, I need to see Simon Armitage lying in a field in his collection.

 

“Sticks are Great (and so are you)”

Oh, this made my heart swell. I was smiling the whole time I was reading it. It’s just really wholesome. Also, the rhythm of this poem is beautiful, and I felt myself bobbing along in time.

            This poem also ends with a picture of Kyra running with a large stick. So, as well as the shots of him lying in the grass, I would also like to see Simon Armitage recreate this picture.

 

“Sad”

I don’t get to see my dog too much at the minute, or just generally when I’m at uni. This poem really reminded me how much I miss my Herbie, and I might have cried a fair amount. This really captures that undying love of a dog. If I cry near Herbie, he won’t leave me be until he makes me feel better. Of course, he always manages to.

 

“Poetry” and “Quotes”

These two poems follow “Sad” and really made me laugh. I especially love “Quotes”; it’s super simple, but works so well as a parody. The last two quotes really tickled me, especially the last one. It was just so much fun.

 

“Sniff”

As I’m crediting Kyra as the author, I’ll say this on “Sniff”: she really managed to channel Rachel’s anger about “Iron” into a wonderful play on the original. “Iron” is irritatingly lazy. It reads like the poetry of someone still learning, not somebody published. Knowing what “Sniff” is parodying, really brings a sort of catharsis.

            I am once again reminded of my own dog. He believes that bins are a decent snack source. I love him so much, but he needs to stop.

 

“Gone”

All I’ll say is that I cried again.

 

“Nights”

A poem to remind you to rescue your dogs rather than buying from breeders. The light you bring to a rescue dog by taking them into your life is so beautiful. This poem beautifully articulated the love that comes from a dog who has spent far too much time in a rescue centre. The language and tonal change after the adoption is so beautiful. This might be one of my favourites.

 

The little “About This Book” was a lovely little addition. I love seeing how and why books come to be. You can tell that a lot of love went into this book (joined by just a little bit of healthy irritation at times). It was a true joy to read, and I’m sure I’ll visit it frequently.

            I absolutely recommend picking up this book. It’s so much fun. I also recommend checking out Rachel Oates on YouTube. She’s brilliantly insightful, and she’s so passionate on the topics she talks about.

            I don’t usually do this, but Rachel if you’ve read this, firstly I’d like to say thank you. Secondly, please tell Kyra she’s the best girl. Finally, know that I adored this book. I’ll find myself in its pages often.

            I feel like, as I've spoken about Herbie a couple times, and this collection features a fair number of pictures of Kyra. So, here's my beautiful boy:


Comments